Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Whole Wheat Tropical Bread and Butter Pudding

As promised, I will show you what I did with the left-over whole wheat rolls that went with our soup in the previous blog.

This is what I made for the bread pudding lovers in the house, which doesn't include myself. What I had was sort of the same, as I used the basic ingredients without the bread. The bananas and pineapple were kissed with sugar, then glazed in a pan with a bit of butter and placed in a meringue cup.

To make this bread pudding you will need:

1/2 a med. pineapple, cored and cut into cubes.
Several handfuls of toasted coconut
1/2 stick butter
1 handful of sultanas
2 bananas, sliced
3 lrg. day-old whole wheat rolls, cubed
1 can coconut milk
4 eggs
2 handfuls sugar
500 ml milk
lemon zest
dash of orange juice

Make a sort of custard with the coconut milk and 2 of the egg yolks and half the sugar, set aside in a ice bath. Butter a small baking dish. and set the oven to Gas mark 4. Lay out a layer of the cubed rolls. Place a layer of pineapple, banana and sultanas. Repeat until the ingredients are gone and you are left with nice layers. Make a mixture of 2 eggs beaten into the milk, zest and OJ and the other half of the sugar. Pour over the layers in the baking pan. Place in a water bath into the oven for 45 minutes, or until golden on top (the bread pudding not the water bath.)

To serve:

Pool a generous amount of coconut custard on a plate, then place a nice slice of the bread pudding in the centre of it. Sprinkle toasted coconut over the top. Mine is garnished with physalis berries and quenelles of Damson preserves.







I had heard of husk cherries (Physalis heterophylla) before, I tried to grow them once without success. It was while working at The Clive - Bromfield, England (near Ludlow) that I learned they make a lovely garnish. I would even dip the bottoms of the berries in dark chocolate with the husk twisted on top. This way they stood up and could be used as a garnish, or as an item on a petit fours plate with coffee.

Everyone had their own way of saying physalis and I am still not sure of the correct way. Other names this member of the nightshade (in other words related to tomatoes, but closer to tomatillos only sweeter tasting) family goes by:

Cape Gooseberry (not really a gooseberry though)
Husk Cherry
Goldenberry
Ground Cherry
Poha Berry




I used the husk cherries in other ways too. Stay tuned for their return to my blog....

No comments:

Post a Comment