Tuesday, June 22, 2010

En Papillote

----------------
Now playing: The New London Chorale - The Linden Tree
via FoxyTunes




The Linden trees are budding out. The flowers haven't opened yet, but that didn't stop me from making a chicken dish with them. When they open and flower fully I have even more planned to do with them. I have asked my European friends for ideas. I asked Lucie and a French lady and researched some recipes from the UK, mostly Celtic. There is also a book on my shelf I have regarding cooking with flowers. Even though linden flowers weren't mentioned, some of the ideas are applicable. You can be sure they will be featured here very soon. I may even come up with a few ideas myself.

Here is a reminder of what I did with the linden flowers last year:

http://i-want-my-umami.blogspot.com/2009/07/linden-street.html

Fast-forward to now:

En Papillote is baking in parchment paper, sort of steaming the ingredients in their own juices, sealing them in.

Cut a heart shape. Place your items to be cooked on one side. Season. Here we have carrot shavings, chicken breasts, linden, salt pepper and butter. I also drizzled the chicken with the linden syrup from last year that I had put up in jars.

Seal the edges of the paper and place on a baking sheet. These rather large chicken breasts were baked in a 350 deg. oven for approx. 45 minutes.

While the chicken baked, I reduced chicken broth, white wine and more linden flowers by half. I thicken it with a bit of cornstarch. Use this sauce poured over your chicken.



Notice the radishes in the plate? They came from the garden today!



----------------
Now playing: Paul McCartney & Wings - Mull Of Kintyre
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment