Sunday, November 15, 2009

Black Pudding

Black Pudding- A sausage made with blood (usually pig), that is heated with a filler (usually meat, fat, suet, bread, sweet potato, barley and oatmeal) when it cools it congeals into the product we know and love. In North America it is called blood sausage. My friend Lucie probably knows it as similar to Blutwurst. In the United Kingdom, black pudding is usually a part of full English brekkie.



At The Pound, Leebotwood I made a starter similar to this one. My home version has the addition of parsnip in the mash and a lightly dressed cress salad.

Black Pudding with Whole-Grain Mustard Mash, Grilled Apple and Poached Egg



In Market Drayton I found some interesting beers with pairing suggestions. The pairing suggestion on this particular bottle says Black Pudding Bhuna. I didn't make bhuna, but being that it is black pudding I thought- good 'nuff. :-)

An interesting note here- The Barnsley Brewery is owned and run by the people that own the original Market Drayton gingerbread recipe, they took it with them when they moved to Yorkshire from Market Drayton. Hmmmmm.....Be that way!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmhhhh, Blutwurst....
    Marcie, you are right, black pudding is similar to the Blutwurst I know.
    In fact a butcher in Denver finally startd to make the Blutwurst and Kochleberwurst which is a kind of liver sausage. So I bought them a few weeks ago and I made one of my favorite meals my Mom used to make - roasted potatoes with warm blood sausage and liver sausage. It was sooo delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo, hope I can try those dishes someday Lucie.

    ReplyDelete