Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Sun Versus Paleta



This paleta is very refreshing on a hot summer day. I found this recipe online and have been using it when I have jalapenos and cucumbers in the garden (which is usually about the same time). All that I need to add is sugar, lemon, a blender, strainer, popsicle mold, sticks and a freezer. Ok, maybe a little pinch of time. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

Here is the link to this wonderful recipe:

http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/3035/Recipe.cfm

I made the Cucumber-Chili Paletas:

In a blender, combine 3 cups 1-inch chunks peeled, seeded cucumber (1 1/2 lb.); 2/3 cup sugar; 1/3 cup lemon juice; and 1 rinsed, stemmed jalapeƱo chili (1 to 1 1/2 oz.; remove seeds and veins for less heat). Whirl until smooth. Push mixture through a fine strainer set over a 2-cup glass measure; discard residue.




When I told my sister about these she said "I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound good." I said she should trust me. That combination sounds out of the ordinary, but they ARE lovely! I like to have one after a nice Mexican feast.



....But to beat the sun, you must eat these before they melt.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! They don't like spicy food at all here in Argentina. That's something you'll have to make me when I get back, because I'm sure I'll miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know what you mean, several European countries are like that in general too. These weren't spicy though. I took the heat out and left the flavour. :-)

    ReplyDelete