Monday, December 19, 2011

Lemon Balm Is All The Buzz

----------------
Now playing: The Eagles - Peaceful Easy Feeling
via FoxyTunes

Taking a break here on the blog from the Christmas cookies. How about a gift idea? Lemon Balm ointment with organic beeswax?




My ointment is packed with Lemon Balm goodness. I had some dried Lemon balm from the summer garden, soaking in olive oil for weeks! I added some fresh Lemon Balm to the melting beeswax. I also dropped a few drops of Lemon Balm Essential oil into the mix.


It smells really good, especially with the bee's wax. Lemon balm is an anti-viral, insect repellent and soothes insect bites and skin allergies. It is also good in aromatherapy, as it is very calming.

I melted 5 ounces of bee's wax with 1/2 c. olive oil that had dried Lemon Balm soaking in it (strained) over a bain marie. I also put a packed handful of fresh leaves in. Stir in a few drops of essential oil. Strain. Funnel that melty mixture into jars or tins. I was thinking that Altoid tins, especially the very small ones would be lovely for this use. Clean it out and decorate, as well. I had little jelly sampler jars I had been saving just for this purpose. One thing I found out, was that it is best to heat the tools you are using, the funnel and strainers, the wax sets pretty quickly.



Bring a bit of summer sunshine captured in a jar into the winter.



***************************************************************************************

"In the bleak mid-winter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak mid-winter,
Long ago."
- Christmas Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment