Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Mini Alfajores

----------------
Now playing: (Violin Sheet Music) - Don't Cry For Me Argentina
via FoxyTunes
(Because I ATTEMPT to play this on violin at times)

These are not necessarily a Christmas cookie, but I won't tell if you don't. They are a favourite around here, anytime of the year. This time they are made bite-sized. They are also enjoyed in other South American countries, but my daughter found out that they are prolific in Argentina, when she was there. Alfajores are also dipped in white and dark chocolate, or the edge of the cookie is rolled in coconut. I use a tried and true sugar cookie recipe, without sugar on top for these.

I use antique glass to press a design in the cookies. Shown are salt cellars that my grandma left to me. I dip them in flour and use the design on the bottom of the glass. To make the edges cleaner, I used a lid to cut them.




I recently found that it is extremely easy to make dulce de leche in a crockpot. Just place an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in the crock, cover with water and let it go for 8 hours. Can't be easier than that! I used to make it in the oven with mixed results. There is also a way to make it with a pressure cooker.

Sandwich some dulce de leche between two cookies and there ya go.




***************************************************************************************


"Once again we find ourselves enmeshed in the Holiday Season, that very special time of year when we join with our loved ones in sharing centuries-old traditions such as trying to find a parking space at the mall. We traditionally do this in my family by driving around the parking lot until we see a shopper emerge from the mall, then we follow her, in very much the same spirit as the Three Wise Men, who 2,000 years ago followed a star, week after week, until it led them to a parking space." -Dave Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment