Monday, July 5, 2010

Give Me Some Sugar

----------------
Now playing: Lenny Kravitz - Sugar
via FoxyTunes

Linden sugar that is....Another idea and way to use the fragrant flowers.

I was out early to gather the flowers from the trees. My weird neighbour thought that I was even weirder than her, for a bit. What was I doing gathering flowers off a tree? If she only knew. After she decided to stop giving me a strange stare and went back to her over abundance of worthless, purple petunias, I set back to work with the bees.
The Linden flowers release a stronger scent in the morning. I want every bit of the floral essence they can afford to give me! The flowers are done blooming within a week, here in Fort Collins, Colorado it seems to be early July that they are at the peak.



I shook the flowers to dislodge any stray bugs or cruft, look through the flowers to remove in anomalies. Layer the flowers into jars with granulated sugar. Close the lid and let the magic happen. About a week later the sugar can be used for drinks, sprinkle on cookies, etc., just run through a sieve to remove the flowers.



This same sort of idea can be used with Epsom salt in place of sugar. Put this in bath water to relax after a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment