Sunday, November 7, 2010

Apples Amongst the Leaves

A rare treat with an autumn backdrop....Apple cider doughnuts in New York state in late October. Apple cider doughnuts are good reason to disregard any doughnut free diet. The added cider invokes a richer depth of flavour. In the area; the countryside near Albany, there are polite contests between orchards, as to who has the best doughnut. The doughnuts are made with apple cider in the dough...I bet you guessed that bit. A cake-like doughnut, fried and rolled in cinnamon. Some of the apples in the area have a naturally spicy taste which also makes a great hot apple cider drink.

I haven't made this type of doughnut yet, there are many recipes for them online and when I am in my full kitchen they will be tried. Please let me know how they turned out if you try to make them.

This is the first time I have tried an apple cider doughnut. I was able to try the treats from two different orchards.










The above orchard was the winner between the two for me. The doughnut was richer and softer in texture.


This orchard pictured below was beautiful with Thatcher Park in the background. There is an animal farm and farmer's market, as well.

































The delicious doughnut was enhanced by a lil picnic in Thatcher Park....Well, the pictures speak for themselves.











More from New York state to slowly follow....

No comments:

Post a Comment