Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Love The Food You're With....

----------------
Now playing: Stephen Stills - Love the One You're With
via FoxyTunes




I attended the Be Local potluck last night. It seems like a close community, but as I stayed longer, friendly people began to include me. I was with a nice group of people in the section of the table we chose. There was good music from 'Left Foot Stomp' and a inspirational speaker Gary Nabhan. I found out about this event through my membership of Slow Food. I am interested in finding out more about the local foods available to me. My face will be among others at some farm tours coming up this summer.



A few thoughts from the Be Local Northern Colorado website:

"Top Ten Reasons To Support Local"

"YOU ENCOURAGE LOCAL PROSPERITY.
Local businesses are owned by people who live here, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in our community’s future."

"YOU REDUCE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT.
Locally-owned businesses can make more local purchases, which require less transportation. They are closer to city and neighborhood centers, lessening transportation costs and easing our carbon footprint."

"YOU REDUCE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT.
Locally-owned businesses can make more local purchases, which require less transportation. They are closer to city and neighborhood centers, lessening transportation costs and easing our carbon footprint."

"YOU CREATE MORE GOOD JOBS.
Local businesses are the largest employer nationally and provide the most jobs to residents."

"YOU KEEP PLACES FUN AND UNIQUE.
One-of-a-kind businesses are integral to the distinctive character of our town and yours… residents and visitors alike enjoy what’s rare and unusual."

"YOU SUPPORT SOCIAL, CULTURAL & ECOLOGICAL PROJECTS.
Non-profit organizations receive an average 250% more support from locally-owned business."

"YOU GET BETTER SERVICE.
Local businesses are closer and more accountable to their customers."

"YOUR MONEY GOES FURTHER.
Significantly more money re-circulates when purchases are made from our very own businesses, service providers, and farms. Local-to-local purchases strengthen community."

"YOU GET MORE CHOICES.
A multitude of local businesses, each selecting products based on the needs of their customers, guarantees a broader range of product choices."

"YOU PUT YOUR TAXES TO GOOD USE.
Local businesses require comparatively little infrastructure investment and make more efficient use of public services."





What is more local than my backyard? There are a few things I have available right now:

Lemon Balm


Oregano


Garlic Chives


Since I was delegated to salads due to my last name beginning with "B," I decided to base a vinaigrette on my lemon balm and oregano. I missed the farmer's market so my lettuce could have been more local than California, ah well. Will do better next time. I did find some local radishes to include and added those with my garlic chives to the greens, also some of my garden scallions. Pretty darn local!



The table was set.



Here are some of the dishes that I managed to get a picture of. Some dishes turned up later.



A few highlights for me besides my own dish were the Guinea fowl and Hazeldell mushrooms from Chimney Park, an arugula salad, a roasted asparagus and orach salad and an orzo salad from Chef Happy. A very satisfying meal all together!









*****************************************************************************************
Shipping is a terrible thing to do to vegetables. They probably get jet-lagged, just like people. ~Elizabeth Berry

No comments:

Post a Comment